Ghost In The Machine, by nostalgia (Bloody internet wouldn't do italics. *these* instead, alas. -------- She knows, really, that the only reason she's with Julian is to remind Dax that she is Ezri. The voices protest when she takes his hand and leads him to the bed, Curzon lectures her on the ethics of what she is doing as she leans in to kiss Julian, tells her to accept her joined state as she reaches to undress him. Jadzia reminds her that there were plenty of good reasons why she, the previous host, the one Julian is probably thinking of as he leans back into the mattress, never did this. You don't love him, she admonishes, This isn't fair. Ezri pointedly ignores the dead voices inside her, moans her new lover's name with a mixture of triumph and spite. Torias calls her an ingrate, tells her that she doesn't deserve the Dax symbiont. Ezri tells him she agrees, and arches her back, pressing her body against Julian's. She comes, and the disapproval subsides a little, slumps into resignation. Ezri enjoys the silence while it lasts. *I never asked for this,* she points out, stretching out under the sheet as Julian sleeps beside her. *But you could have said no,* says Lela, *You could have let us die.* *Then shut up and be grateful. I'm not going to live for ever. And then the next host will be some approved genius with no personality who'll let you do whatever the hell you want.* *It isn't like that,* says Jadzia. *I let you talk when you're helpful. You're not being very helpful at the moment.* *I didn't turn him down all those years just so you could jump into bed with him the minute you got my memories. Do have any idea what you're doing to Worf?* Ezri smiles, *I'm not doing it to Worf, I'm doing it to Julian.* Jadzia sighs, *Ezri...* *You're dead. Now shut up and deal with it.* *You can't keep fighting this. You were doing so well, you were adapting.* *I don't want to adapt. I'm happy like this.* *Not that happy,* says Curzon, dryly, and summons up memories of other, better, lovers. Ezri puts a hand over her abdomen and closes her eyes, trying to will the voices into silence. *You think that's going to work?* asks Curzon. *You really have got a lot to learn, little girl.* She turns onto her side and slips an arm across Julian's chest, resting her head on his shoulder. *And he's only with you because Chief O'Brien ran off back to Earth.* *Shut up, Curzon, nobody asked you.* *I noticed.* *I hate you.* *I noticed that too.* *Shut up and let me sleep. * *You'd probably sleep better in your own bed. * *How would you know? It's not like you were a paragon of chastity.* *I wasn't doing it to spite Dax. We're part of you now, Ezri. You can't ignore us forever. You need us, you have to listen to us. You have to accept us.* But Ezri is asleep, and smiles in the silence.