ADVERTISEMENT Summary : Two supposedly dead men have an intriguing conversation about 24th Century History as we know it, and as we do not. Beyond Paranoia by Rob Morris SIX MONTHS AFTER THE END OF THE DOMINION WAR "Hi. Report." The second man nodded, after checking his sound dampener. "Not too much to say. I haven't been dead as long as you, after all. Suffice it to say that the recurring myth of Section 31 has been reintroduced. It had been so damned long since we made use of Kirk's disappearance, people had forgotten it. But now, when Starfleet Intelligence denies certain actions--that denial will be believed." The second man's face looked mock angry, as he imitated another voice. "Oh, nooo--it wasn't usssss.....it was our evil twin, Section 31!" The first man snorted. "Terrific. You know, I combed the quadrant for any Maquis remnants? Couldn't find a one. Where ARE the malcontents?" He took down a drink. "Of course, that just means we did our jobs too well. They all were drained away to the 'movement' we set up, just to see who saluted a rebel flag. God bless the ancient CIA. They started this, you know. Those militia movements? Brilliant." The second man chuckled. "Be fair. You wouldn't have had such an easy time of it, had Chakotay not gone bye-bye. Or if our stings on Picard, making him refuse future intelligence work, hadn't gone so well." "Well, of course not. But the fact remains. We used the Maquis to corner all the malcontents. We used the Maquis to weaken The Cardies. Dukat's psych-profile virtually predicted his alliance with The Dominion. The Dominion pounded the Cardies into paste. Mission nearly accomplished. Now, we just wait for the next Borg incursion, make sure that they enter Dominion space---and watch the great war really begin." "Absolutely, Mister Eddington?" "Positively, Mister Sloane."