Title: Freudian Slip

Author: nostalgia

Rating: PG-13, I reckon

Disclaimer: Paramount made these people. I just hurt them.

Summary: "This is bliss..."




They sleep entwined.

She stirs in her sleep, pushes against him. He smiles, half-awake now.

She moves again, waking. She sees the smile and moves her lips to his throat. Eyes closed, he sighs happily.

She moves her lips over his skin, kisses him gently. He parts his lips to let her in. This is perfect. This is bliss.

He moans quietly, murmurs her name, "Jadzia..."

And then she stops, tenses against him. He opens his eyes to see her staring down at him.

"What did you just call me?"

"Ezri, I didn't..."

She moves back to her side of the bed, fixing him with an accusing glare.

"I'm sorry. I was sleeping. I can't control what I think about in my sleep."

The puppy-dog look doesn't work this time. He will have to get out of this one through his own wits. He doubts his chances of success.

"Do you dream about her a lot?"

"Does it matter?"

"Yes." Ezri stares at the ceiling. "I know how you felt about her."

"That was a long time ago."

But he's not getting out of it that easily. He wishes he could just go back to sleep. Back to his dreams, where Jadzia is waiting for him.

"So it's coincidence that you loved her and now you're sleeping with me?"

He tries to work out what the right answer is. Telling the truth is out of the question, so he says,"Yes." He is an excellent liar. He closes his eyes and tries not to think.

"You're just going to go back to sleep?"

He opens one eye, "Do you have a problem with that?"

"Yes, I have a problem with that. We have a problem with that."

"Ezri, if you're going into counselling mode, I have to tell you that this is neither the time nor the place. I have to go back to sleep so that I can get up in three hours and do complicated medical things that require my full concentraition. So if you don't mind…"

"You weren't so keen on sleeping when you thought I was Jadzia."

"We'll talk about this tomorrow."

"We won't. You'll just change the subject all the time."

"Well, if you weren't so bloody paranoid, I wouldn't have to, would I?"

She scowls and says, "Don't try to make this be about me. It's about you. And Jadzia."

"There was never anything between me and Jadzia, and you know that." Yet again, he wonders if all this is worth it. Jadzia is dead, and Ezri isn't Jadzia.

"You wanted her though. You chased her for years. If she hadn't married Worf..."

"Ezri, I'm going to sleep now. Right now. And if you're going to keep talking I'd appreciate it if you did so very quietly so you don't keep me awake."

"Fine."

"Good."

They sleep facing away from each another.



fiction index